Treasure Blocks

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Pink Kitty, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Pink Kitty

Pink Kitty Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe

@zanzistar
    So, i had an idea about loot, resources and FPS.

And what i came up with was: Treasure blocks.

Let me explain.
    So, in Minecraft, one of the things you can do, is spend huge amounts of resources, like diamonds and gold, to make blocks of diamond and gold.
    In addition to being blingy, it's also a handy way to stockpile large amounts of resources.

So, i have a similar idea here.

1. a simple block of some kind, like a literal block, or a tank. (depending on resources)
    2. It costs a lot of one resource, like say 50 celestite.
    3. It does nothing.
    4. But, it can be scrapped for 50 celestite.
    Why?
    1. It acts as a straightforward way to transport large amounts of resources.
    2. It has little impact on FPS. And thus will give a way to stockpile large amounts of stuff, without stuffing up the frame rate.
    3. It gives a form of treasure that can be found on wrecks, or stolen from 'delivery boy' techs, or given as a reward.
    4. It lends legitimacy to the 'Pirate' play style, by allowing for resource type loot without adding any new code. A handful of these blocks of various types would duplicate the effects of a mining effort. and allow someone to progress in the game, without doing vast amounts of mining, if they don't want to.
    5. It would also expand on Venture's role by giving them a job that can be done by sheer speed alone: Deliver this valuable block to [Location X]
    Questions? comments?

Zargn and Glyphess Cyndi like this.
  2. Zargn

Zargn Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe

This would be great, and maybe have it be stored in the SCU? Maybe have have a new tab just for those blocks?

3. Pink Kitty

Certainly one way to get resources into the SCU.

Sort of. :p

Zargn likes this.
  4. Dellamorte

Dellamorte I am not a Dev just a passionate community member Moderator Beta Deluxe Canary TT Streamer

I am tending to think the same way now too. Now we have the SCU I feel it maybe better to have a storage block (or blocks) for resources too. Conveyors can still be used to move resources to the refineries (or what ever they will be called) and fabricators. This could do a lot of things for the game not least of which is to decrease slowdown of the game at late stages.

Lurkingdaemon likes this.
  5. Pink Kitty

Yeah. There's been a lot of talk about the Silos slowing stuff down.
    I didn't see it myself, until i made a base with two silos per resource.

Lag.
    Very lag.

And while i don't think it would be that hard to make a silo with no floating chunks, This solution needs no code.
    All we need is some simple crystalline/metallic blocks, and a couple of different coloured tanks for the fluids, and you're done.

Heck, just reuse the angular single hawkeye block, apply a texture of the res chunk, add a recipe and you're done.
    and a new tab for the SCU menu when you have time.

6. Lurkingdaemon

Lurkingdaemon New Member Beta Deluxe

I like this idea - perhaps resources could be 'compacted' through a device not unlike a modern compactor - which produces a singular 'super chunk' which is worth upwards of a large number of the regular resource chunks?

I'd like to see this - perhaps an advanced Silo block which has it's own model and fill bar (like the fuel tanks) representing how full it is of chunks/compressed chunks, but doesn't display the individual floating chunks like the regular silo - perhaps hiding them away with dimensional SCIENCE like the SCU?

7. Pink Kitty

or a silo with one floating block that gets larger the more stuff goes in?

8. TheUberCannon

TheUberCannon Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe

The resource block idea is interesting, (gorilla), even better looking than the color blocks imo.

9. Lurkingdaemon

Lurkingdaemon New Member Beta Deluxe

I could get behind this. Obvious visual indication of (relatively) how much of a particular resource you have.

Maybe the block could function similar to the existing Filtered GSO Silo - in that it automatically filters in the first chunk of any type that passes into it, and only allows other chunks of that same type as the first.

harpo99999 likes this.
  10. Potato

Potato Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe

I approve of the idea. Right now Terratech is focused on small-scale bases and Techs. But what if the player(s) want to go big? Silos filled to the brim with chunks are resource hogs, large Techs aside.

Always wanted to haul my own cargo, but having a full silo with a large landship makes my game lag badly.

harpo99999 likes this.
  11. Pink Kitty

12. Jamie

Jamie Admin Developer Community Manager Moderator

I like the idea of this. I think we'd have to reevaluate the need for it once the resource and crafting economy is in full swing (there are a few big changes on the way) -- as we don't know what kind of resource management will surface at this stage.

Could be cool though!

Dellamorte and Zargn like this.